About this Show

The Five

News/Business. (2013) New.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Bob 7, Us 7, Obama 5, Eric 5, Warfarin 4, Dana 4, Benghazi 3, New York 3, United States 3, Chris Matthews 2, America 2, Massachusetts 2, Florida 2, Angela Merkel 2, Obama Administration 2, Kathleen Sebelius 2, Hp 2, S&p 2, Merkel 2, Greg 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Five    News/Business.  (2013) New.  

    October 29, 2013
    2:00 - 3:00pm PDT  

2:00pm
what? do you believe the study, dan? >> i don't know why they needed to spend money on that. i could have just told them that. >> what? >> that if they don't get fox news they should demand it. >> you really are a fool, but you're our fool. >> i love you, too. >> okay. >> what are you wearing? >> hello, everyone. i'm greg gatt field along with andrea tantaros, bob beckel and dana perrino. this is "the five. "hey, you want to get depressed. watch "the view." >> this morning's headlines had some people worried that they are going to lose their medical plans because of obama care. are you worried? >> no. >> yes, yes. >> they are not worried? >> that's not low information voting. that's no information voting f.knowledge were water, that audience is death valley. but now we're reminded of old news, the white house new millions of people would lose
2:01pm
their health insurance, well, at least obama was honest with us. >> if you've got health insurance, you like your doctor, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, can you keep your plan. if americans like their doctor, they will keep their doctor, and if you like your insurance plan you will keep it. no one will be able to take that away from you. if you're one of the more than 250 million americans who already have health insurance, will you keep your health insurance. if you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. if you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. >> he said period. even his punctuation lies. now the white house calls this a normal turnover, so was pompeii, but at least our leader, valerie jarrett, fought back tweeting from her cockpit within obama's cranium where she pulls the lever where she operates the sly left. he's pinky, she's the brain. the gist, plain it on the insurance company but that's like a landlord tripling your
2:02pm
rent and then blaming you for leaving, but at least a 60-year-old man now has maternity care, you know, in his he gets pregnant. at some point the media has to take credit for this, coddled this regime, turning a blind eye to its incompetence. obama was the star qb who could skip out on clash, rumble the teachers and make rash demands on cheerds. the irs, benghazi, obama care, congrats, media. nice you built that. you care now but now you've got more egg on your face than michael moore at denny's. obama care will spend $2 billion that could somewhere been spent on retirement, education, kids' clothes. now they must reinvent the ruse. wealth transfer becomes health transfer. this halloween the treat was merely a trick, and the american people were left holding the bag, and it's all razor blades, no candy. so this nbc report that says that 40% to 60% of customers will lose their health coverage,
2:03pm
andrea, we actually reported this three years ago, but this is now suddenly big news because nobody took it seriously. >> no one took it seriously in the media. i think very few people actually read the bill in the media because all of this information, greg, was already there. >> yeah. >> if you studied what happened in massachusetts, the same policies that were put in place in massachusetts were the same policies as part of obama care. they never bothered to research or do that story, and they also missed not what's happening in the individual market. >> right. >> so employers are cancelling plans that don't have these 15 essential benefits. states used to determine the benefits. now it's the feds, so, for example, you, if you have a plan, let's say you have an individual plan. an essential benefit is now pediatric dentistry. >> right. >> what are you going to do with that plan? your plan is likely going to get cancelled if you don't have it. >> actually, it's true, i want to have baby teeth. >> also.
2:04pm
we saw employers already dropping their coverage because if they had over 50 and they didn't want to pay the fines, they said go into the exchanges so that was another lie they knew you could keep your doctor. all these seniors, too, are losing their medicare advantage. this is a story, greg, the media missed. they were supposed to lose their medicare advantage right before the election. what did the administration do? they took $8 billion as part of project demonstrations and put them in medicare advantage to just clog that hole so that that story didn't get out before the election. now all these seniors are losing their medical advantage, and medicare advantage, and the white house knew about it and lied on all three fronts. >> bob? you're scowling. do you have a report? >> there are's 311 million people in this country. less than 15 million may see their insurance changed. that have 10 million normally get it changed. for 20 years in a rote insurance company has increased fees before obama was even known. i'll shown you a little graph of insurance companies, what their
2:05pm
stock was when obama took them on in 2007 and now what they are today, they are soaring. the insurance companies are making a fortune. >> wait. hold on. >> the profit margins are slim, bob, and you know it. >> it's now regulated under obama care. >> here's -- here's the other thing. you're comparing the stock price to what? >> there's no source on that graph either. >> remember what happened when president obama took over? the stock market was 6500. now it's 14,600. >> excuse me, all i'm saying -- insurance companies -- they value their stocks 65% more since obama took office. >> and they are trailing the s&p because the s&p is up over 120%. >> the fact of the matter is -- people are losing their policies, they will get better policies because the ones they are losing is crap but they could have kept them if the insurance companies would have been willing to give it to them. >> that addresses one issue. can you keep your insurance if
2:06pm
you want it. there's another huge shoe to drop. you banned it. the other shoe to drop is doctors. there's a new york state study, 29,000 doctors, they conducted a poll in new york state. 44% of them said they are not participating whatsoever in obama care. 33% said they are not sure. that leaves 23% who said they are involved. of that 23%, three-quarters of those are doing it because they are contractually obligated to do that so if you take the numbers straight down the line, that leaves 6% of doctors in new york state as polled are in favor of obama care and will provide service. do you want 6% only? you want the other 94% of the people -- >> they are going to get a second job as waiters. >> what kind of health care are you going to get when the vast majority of doctors in the system don't want to be there? >> my sympathy -- >> this is important. >> fine. >> this is health care, not insurance. >> these guys -- 60%, that's all a doctor, only 6%, what are the rest are going to do?
2:07pm
>> 23%. >> what about the 77%? >> 77% -- 44 said they are not doing it. >> what about new doctors? what incentives are there for young doctors going to medical schools. >> every medical school slot has been filled. >> you don't know this. >> this is the other shoe to drop. >> you said about a two weeks ago as this was all falling apart. wait for it. the insurance companies will be the ones blamed. >> right. because the administration is not that great at governing but really good at blaming, and then they blame, and then they figure out -- somehow how to express outrage and then blame the victim. >> right. it's a really impressive strategy. the insurance companies have become hardly more than public utilities, and we watched during the health care debate the insurance companies basically danced all the way with the administration up until the very end when they were going to call for the final song, and all of a sudden the administration changed the rule. the rule that we're talking about that fox reported on and now is getting a lot more attention three years later, i'm fine with that.
2:08pm
when lisa myers of nbc news, the investigative reporter gets put on your story, you're in big trouble, i know from experience. >> can i ask you a question. >> yeah, sure. >> thank you. >> i didn't even say anything until eight minute of the show. >> i want to ask you a question. >> the insurance companies for 20 rooms, according to our brain room, before obama was around, every year for 20 years they increased on the average of 20%, their premiums. let me ask you a question here. the old days, the good old days were pre-obama care -- >> you just said they increased our premiums 20% every year since -- before obama came along. is that what you said? >> that doesn't make any sense. >> average is 20% every year. >> you're out of your mind. i'm sorry, chuck berry, can you call the brain room and see if they said the insurance company increased premiums 20% every year. >> by the way, even if the premiums were increased, doesn't matter -- it's because medical care goes up, the profit mar
2:09pm
jibs are still incredibly slim. >> you want to go back to the good old days of before this health care discussion. >> yeah. >> nice tactic. >> it was nice. >> bob, we talked about this, there were minimal increases, and the way to deal with that was open up insurance over state lines and get the plans and insurers to compete with that. >> i would do that. >> why didn't your administration do that? >> i wasn't there. >> this is a long-term plan for single payer. they are going to let this thing fall apart so it ends up becoming a single payer government-sponsored program. here's ed henry. let's throw to some tape because we need to calm down here. >> the president, september of 2009. quote, i want to spend a few minutes debunking some of the more outrageous myths circulating on the internet. if you like your private health insurance plan, can you keep your plan, period. okay. >> ed -- >> do the president's words matter when he sells a big thing like that? >> ed, again, all i ask of
2:10pm
everybody else is to provide the context. all i ask is that you note the population that we're talking about and you note the fact that the affordable care act, as written, allows that if you have the insurance on the individual market the president was talking about before the passage of the affordable care act and you wanted to keep it, you could keep it. what we obviously cannot do or could not do in the interim was prevent insurers from cancelling that policy and then offering a new one. >> andrea, how do you do there? >> not very well. not very well at all. your analogy when you opened the show was about a landlord. that was a great analogy. imagine mandating that everybody rents but landlords have to put all these essential benefits in the apartment but not everyone needs a new sound system or a high range stove or something like this. >> yes. >> and then they get blamed as they jack up the prices for the rent, they get blamed for cancelling all of the leases. >> how many people lost their insurance policies? >> millions. i predict at least 10 million people are going to lose.
2:11pm
>> 311 million people. >> you don't care about the individual. you really don't. that's basically what they are saying. >> we went with that bimbo down in florida who said her insurance was 50 bucks and now 536. she had no plan. >> how do you know she is a bimbo? >> that's a nice word. >> i'll stop. >> basically the white house staff did not know what they were talking about, or they told the president something false, or they all knew what was going in on it. that's the bottom line news story of the day which is people realize that they are going to have changes in their health care. they were -- but they are really mad that they were lied to. >> can i ask, dana, how in the world would they let him go out there and say it, you mulled three or four, they let him do that month after month after month knowing very well they put it out themselves in 2010. >> but if the insurance companies hadn't changed their plans. >> they were required to change
2:12pm
their plan under the law, bob. >> grandfathered. then you just walked yourself right into a trap, bob. >> do you think that everybody loves their insurance plan right now? >> i think it's like congress. i think most people like their own insurance plan but they hate the insurance company. >> 60% of the bankruptcies -- >> at least they can choose. a one fits all program where kathleen sebelius says these are the essential benefits for the entire united states of america and you have to follow them is not choice, and that's what they said would happen so this administration knew exactly what it was doing, and it's not insurance company's fault that employers that have over 50 employees are saying forget this. it's too costly. go into the exchanges. that was an easy lie that he didn't have to make. >> they made their own bed. >> coming, we're going to take a look at some of the most something something provocative media reaction to the late -- they were so interested in what we were talking about they
2:13pm
forgot that they had to roll the teleprompter. all right. we're going to look at more stuff. before we go check out our facebook page at facebook.com/thefivefnc. stay with us. it's a growing trend in business: do more with less with ss energy.hp is help. soon, the world's most intelligent servers,
2:14pm
designed by hp, will give ups over twice the performance, using forty percent less energy. multiply that across over a thousand locations, and they'll provide the same benefit to the environment as over 60,000 trees. that's a trend we can all get behind.
2:15pm
2:16pm
2:17pm
welcome back, everybody. they say politics makes for strange bedfellows and since the launch of the mandated health care law, politics has been front and center in the media. three examples of media talking heads saying the darnedest things. first up, nbc talking goatee chuck todd seems to be carrying the water for the obama administration by blaming the insurance companies, bob, for the new revelation that millions will lose their coverage under obama care. >> they put themselves in the hands of the insurance companies. they were making promises that they were hoping the insurance companies were going to keep, but when you think about that initial statement, and at the time, all of us said we're highly skeptical of how he could make that promise. i never understood why he said if you like your health care plan you can keep it because he
2:18pm
was relying somehow on the insurance companies. >> no, no. >> dana, your thoughts on that. that's exactly what we were talking about in the "a" block. >> it is, that's why we'll talk about it again because it's so compelling. when the president was saying if you want -- if you like your health care you can keep, it it was basically the mantra of the entire campaign, people that questioned that, looking at the facts, we were considered crazy and hateful and racist, and you name all of the things, and now the media is saying oh, yeah, we all knew that. we didn't understand why they were saying that. i think that's remarkable >> you know what he did? he indicted hope. chuck todd said that, you know, they were hoping that the insurance policies would fall in line, but hope is not a campaign. hope is not real. if that's -- you hope that iran will cooperate. that's a stupid strategy. hope is pointless. it's good to see chuck todd realizing that. >> was there any basis, as chuck
2:19pm
points out, that they were hoping the insurance companies would stay on board? was there any basis for that? did they even think about, by the way, if it's not profitable to keep this insurance company but we do it because we're an insurance company, and i have the opportunity to cancel that one? >> why didn't they think of that before. >> because nobody in the administration has ever run a business. >> right. >> they go from the faculty lounge to the public sector. no one has ever managed anything. they don't understand making a profit and clearly look at our national debt, so the insurance companies are looking at this right now. many of these insurance companies didn't even want to participate in obama care. they are getting an influx of sick people into the system. it's going to cost them so much money, and they have until i guess thursday, eric, to decide if they don't want to be part of it. also, if cms breeches a lot of these, a lot more insurance companies will say we're out of here and that's how they make the case for single payer. >> the insurance companies could
2:20pm
have issued these policies if you wanted to. >> which ones are you talking about? >> the ones that they are getting the letter, the policies that were there, if the insurance companies wanted, to they could have kept the insurance policies. >> they have to include these certain things. >> i understand that. >> but they are getting -- the onus is put on for the policies, all the other ones. the lady in florida that you're talking about, she didn't have 15 different things in her policy. that's why she was paying 50 bucks a month. now they are required to give her 15 different things and it costs to insure that 500 a month. it's playing with the free market. >> a lot of things she didn't need. >> in a rare movement sanity or sobriety, tingles matthews over at msnbc questioning president obama's cred. >> i think it's a real challenge if people with regular policies out there that covered normal medical expenses are told wait a minute that policy doesn't count. i think that will be a real problem for the president in terms of his credibility, if that is in that list.
2:21pm
>> what do you think, greg? >> chris matthews saying you have a credibility issue is like mike tyson saying you have a tattoo on your face problem. >> thoughts? >> i think at some point these reporters are interested in covering their own burkts and can you not defend the indefensible so even chris matthews is saying whose credibility is more important, mine or barry's. i'll do mine insgled go ahead, robert. >> first of all, i think robert should not have -- i mean, would i not -- you never make an absolute statement in politics because it always comes back to bite you. >> why did he? he's a good politician? >> well, it was a campaign. you say it was a campaign. >> he had already won. >> let me put it this way. the number of people affected by this in a country of 311 minu 1s this in a country of 311 minu31n people is miniscule.
2:22pm
>> dana? >> i think this proves that this administration and their surrogates do not care about the individual. if you have employer-sponsored coverage, they are fine with that. if you want to be in medicaid or medicare, they want you there, but if you are an individual and you're a small business owner and you're trying to make it on your own, they don't give a crap about you. >> they don't care? >> you just said you don't care about them. you just said it. >> you said it's miniscule. >> wait a minute. >> why would he do that. well, he was in a campaign, so can we summarize it was politics over policy, can we? >> certainly that statement was -- we probably could say it was politics over policy, yeah. in the end you're arguing over a chump change amount of people most of whom can either afford it. >> you heard it here, folks. democrats think individuals are chump change. that's what you voted for. >> one last thought. you know who is getting their insurance policies pulled out from under them. it's not wealthy people. it's poor people. it's the people who don't have enough bells and whistles in their policies. finally in a bat of the big dogs, check out two vastly different opinions on the obama care fallout. on the left howard dean and on the right dr. charles
2:23pm
krauthammer, both doctor by the way. >> i think obama care is in fact going to be the reason that we are going to pick up seats in the house, and we are not going to lose the senate. >> when the other guy is committing suicide, get out of the way. this could be a setback for the entitlement state and the liberal arrogant idea that could set them back for a decade, and they know it. which is why they are terrified. >> dr. dean -- did howard dean think that in 2010 which was an historic loss for the incumbent party after a major piece of legislation was passed? in 2010 the democrats lost more seats than any other party had lost in a first-year mid-term. i don't know what changes all of a sudden for him the calculation that we found out that the president told you something that is not true so now vote for them? >> they were saying in 2010 they were getting people to vote against them. obama and his people were completely outmaneuvered in 2010 which the tea party people who
2:24pm
sent out a lot of misleading information. >> the tea party people who said don't believe the president who said you could keep your plan. >> the tea party is now right. i can understand how howard dean is maybe making that point to spin it if the website were working, and this is one thing we're not even talking about. all of these states that are taking all of these new medicaid patients that cost people nothing to sign up. single guys living at their girlfriend's apartment or living with their parents or on their own, before you needed a kid to get medicaid, now you don't. those hundreds of thousands of people that we're all going to be paying for, that debate hasn't even started yet. that's another thing that they lied to us about. >> guys, the only thingis when you watch howard dean speak and then charles krauthammer, it's quite a -- it's like going from highlights to "war on peace," you know, two doctors, which would you rather be treated by. >> go ahead, robert. i'm sorry. that's it? 's all you've got.
2:25pm
i've got some things to say but i'll wait until the end of the show. >> isn't that why you said push the individual mandate back to prevent all these political problems? >> i think this is all -- i mean, i think you all are throwing fearmongering among people. i think the obama administration did not tell them the straight story, and i think the insurance companies underneath all of it have manipulate it had. >> coming up. >> moving right along. >> moving right along, kathleen sebelius will finally be testifying on capitol hill tomorrow. we got our hands on a copy of her prepared remarks. we'll give you a sneak peek coming up. check out our new website at foxnews.com/thefive. stay with us.
2:26pm
2:27pm
2:28pm
2:29pm
2:30pm
tomorrow kathleen snowmobile us, secretary of health and human services, the agency at the center of the calamitous rollout of obama care, is going to testify in front of the house energy and commerce committee. we'll have complete coverage of that tomorrow night on "the five" but in advance of the hearing i was inspired over the weekend. i wrote a couple for knocksnews.com with five suggestions for house republicans on how to get the most out of her appearance on the hill tomorrow. these are the ones that i came up, and i'm sure there are others that my panelists here will be able to talk about. one is that they could take the opportunity to make a new impression. this is -- a lot of people will be watching tomorrow maybe for the first time, that they should come with more facts. they should bottle the fake outrage which is my biggest complaint about the hearings. channel their frustration and then also be able to crisply describe the policies that they are for, not just what they are against. eric, i wanted to ask you if you were a congressman and tomorrow you were in the house energy and commerce committee, what would you ask the secretary? >> when -- well, there would be
2:31pm
two. when do you expect the obama care website to be up? i think they have to stay on it. there's plenty of time to talk about all the costs and what not and dropping the insurance coverage. and are we mixing it and who is paying? sunday the connectionite was down and monday it was down. i told the story yesterday. i spent 40 minutes on there getting through two steps in the process creating the account. i went down to "five" and went back on today and typed in my account and said there's no account anymore so i called the call center. very nice lady told me they are -- she said experiencing glitches. we hope to have them fixed by the end of november, and then she read a statement to me. you've got to hear this. we apologize for any technical difficulties you may be experiencing as you use healthcare.gov. we know this may be frustrating, and we're working to improve healthcare.gov to make sure your experience with it is a positive one. >> good luck with that. and i yeah, how would you approach the questions tomorrow? what do you think if the
2:32pm
republicans were envisioning their best headlines out of the hearing, what would that be? >> first, i would set her up for failure and i would ask her how many non-subsidized healthy people they expect to actually be enrolled by october 2014, october 1st? why is that important, a month before the mid-term elections. they will never be able to make that goal, but pin her down on a number tomorrow. also, i would ask her did president obama know that millions were going to lose their individual coverage? if so, who briefed him and when did he know? did he know that in fact and the i was also pin her down on that. if i were her tomorrow, dana, i'd have a total attitude adjustment. i wouldn't come out there and say i don't work for anyone who doesn't like this plan. i would be humble and determined and grateful to fix this. >> greg, one of the things that i mentioned in the piece, and we were talking about it last week, i felt sorry for the witness
2:33pm
last week. why do i feel sorry for them but it's because like the members were being jerks. >> a couple of suggestions to add to your -- remember al i ever north. all you've got to be remembered. he appeared to be ganged up and he appeared to be the david to the goliath. get a haircut, republicans. tired of the goofy looking haircuts. what to wear, an ascot, a fez, pipe would be nice, monacle. get to the point, no compliments, no insults. ask the questions that matter. you know, during the whole benghazi stuff, i don't think anybody asked who pushed the video? you've got to ask the major questions, and quote me at every opportunity. >> bob, is there anyone you want to give advice to tom.
2:34pm
>> first of all, iationed to a good portion of that hearing today and maybe they should understand what they are talking about. i why back to district which is a reach and i talk to hundreds of my constituents, and they are all losing their health insurance. they have got to be specific. the moral outrage. i can't understand him. the chairman was worse. it's just so bay clantly political. you know why? they don't understand it and ought to go read the bill. >> athlete sebelius is going to address the website and its 3.5% success rate. over 96% failed so far and those only talks about the employees. kathleen, have you less than 2% success rate in enrolling people into obama care.
2:35pm
what's going on. >> how do they count unique viewers? >> twice. >> but when you got kicked off, do you think that you're three of those 39 millions. >> impressive. seriously, i would come up with suggestions and alternatives instead of saying no, no, no, no, no. not a single republicans voted for it. >> on the committee. >> that's what i said. >> on the committee they didn't because they didn't have an alternati alternative. >> they have alternatives. >> if the republicans can lay out an idea which is horse to pin, about a month ago you praised the republicans for reish shoeing the same bill they put out and you said finally they had a plan so it actually exists. >> so talk about it. >> i agree. they should talk about it. >> i'd like to see the headline tomorrow being that der admits
2:36pm
people would lose their plans and another would be hhs claims claims -- >> instead of calling for her resignation, they sound ridiculous. they could fire her but stop calling for her to design. still ahead, what didn't he know and when didn't he know it? the white house uses one of its fife rates again, this time rufrg -- i'm only in my 60's.
2:37pm
i've got a nice long life ahead. big plans. so when i found out medicare doesn't pay all my medical expenses, i looked at my options. then i got a medicare supplement insurance plan. [ male announcer ] if you're eligible for medicare, you may know it only covers about 80%
2:38pm
of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. call now and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, it helps pick up some of what medicare doesn't pay. and could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. to me, relationships matter. i've been with my doctor for 12 years. now i know i'll be able to stick with him. [ male announcer ] with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. plus, there are no networks, and virtually no referrals needed. so don't wait. call now and request this free decision guide to help you better understand medicare... and which aarp medicare supplement plan might be best for you. there's a wide range to choose from. we love to travel -- and there's so much more to see. so we found a plan that can travel with us.
2:39pm
anywhere in the country. [ male announcer ] join the millions of people who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. remember, all medicare supplement insurance plans help cover what medicare doesn't pay. and could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. call now to request your free decision guide. and learn more about the kinds of plans that will be here for you now -- and down the road. i have a lifetime of experience. so i know how important that is.
2:40pm
i need a newn't investment pn. i need to rethink the core of my portfolio. ishares core etfs are low-cost funds. so you can keep more of what you earn. get started with the new ishares core builder. design a personalized plan that can help you achieve your investment goals. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal. when it comes to the scandals that plagued obama's presidencies it's tough to get straight answers from the most transparent administration in
2:41pm
history. the latest example, revelations that the nsa was tapping german chancellor angela merkel's phone. >> people wonder how is it that you didn't know about the cell phones being looked at or listened to, and why you didn't know? who should have told you? >> well, first of all, i'm not confirming a bunch of assumptions that have been made in the press. >> this sounds like some of the dodging that he's done in the past. remember, the irs scandal, the justice department scandal and fast and furious? let mow take will irs situation first. i learned about it when most people learned about it. i can assure you that i certainly did not know anything about the ig report before the ig report had been leaked through press. he's indicated that he was not aware of what was happening in fast and furious.
2:42pm
certainly i was not. >> so do you believe him? eric? >> do you think i believe him. >> again, like we said yesterday. anything bad that happens, i didn't know about it, i heard about it in the media but neglect that's going for him he takes the credit, the drone site. data mining 11 billion e-mails when president obama doesn't know about benghazi and the irs until he hears it in the media. it's a lack of character. own up to the mistakes. people would appreciate you more. >> dana, i don't believe him on some of the other scandals from the sound bites that he said he had no idea about, but could it be possible that he didn't know about this? for example, intelligence briefings often say, okay, merkel supports a missile deagainst program for the pols.
2:43pm
it wouldn't say angela merkel supports the program because we tapped her phone. wouldn't a skilled leader though ask the question. >> where did you get that information? how did you confirm it? >> he knows. the president knows where they got the information. >> i don't like the president having to be in that position because we're talking about intelligence-gathering and protecting other countries so he's basically now in a situation where he said i'm not going to confirm the rumors so the question was decent. i think they are asking the wrong question. let's say president obama didn't know about it. about hillary clinton know when she was going to meet with world leaders? did she ever get information gleaned from those intelligence briefings? i would love to know that. somebody should ask her. >> i think there's a chance maybe on this one, greg, that maybe he didn't know. maybe there's honesty coming out of the president saying i didn't know because they wouldn't say how they got the information and
2:44pm
they didn't ask the question, but didn't this program seem a little weird? there was no discretionary decisions, seemed blanket. angela merkel y.her? why not specific inmiss. yo not the people who subs dougherty the attacks. president obama, for a guy who loss of to wear awareness. he's like a having a personal trainer. he has more dodges than a used car lot. >> what do you think was going on, orders for frank fusters? >> i don't know. >> what if he didn't know? isn't that more disturbing? >> yes. >> that's very disturbing. >> well, that means that he's playing more golf than going to the intel briefings which we know he's doing any. box doesn't the united states have a history of spying on foreign leaders? this isn't a new thing.
2:45pm
>> i think one of the questions, first of all, i think in all these things, even if he didn't know he sawed say the responsibility is mine. my sympathy for foreign leaders like merkel is zero. every situation -- from george bush, to bill clinton to h.w. bush. >> to george washington. >> nothing new. why these allies are so disturbed by it. >> do you think they are doing it for show. >> yes. >> and i think president obama is in a position where he didn't want to hurt their allies in domestic policy so they have to think about ahead. yes we stopped that. the wows could not have reviewed the policy and stopped it and never knew about it because that means he didn't make any of the decisions. >> here's leader so and so
2:46pm
wouldn't you sort of assume from that quote -- >> if you are a highly skilled leader who follows up how do we get the information. if you assume he's not reading the briefing, the president has not been reading his intelligence briefings. didn't read benghazi. he was golfing. >> i would be shocked if the president of the united states didn't read his morning briefing, really. coming up, bob has good advice on what he thinks the president should do with obama care. hint, the rest of the table may not agree with his regular nations either.
2:47pm
2:48pm
2:49pm
2:50pm
you probably can guess that i'm not comfortable with this whole obama care argument. and daily we sit here and i find myself having to defend it. and i realize something, you know, that i was not being very true to myself. i came out in the beginning and i believe it now that this country needs a single parent
2:51pm
plan. and we need to get the insurance companies, which are flush with cash, have caused unbelievable distress among people, lie and do a lot of other things. i think you need to get them out of the way. have the one system that everybody can pretty much agree on, medicare works pretty well in this country. medicare is a single parent plan. that's what we need for everybody in america. and get the insurance companies out of it. and i think, i think, mr. obama, i really hope you reconsider this because in the election if this thing goes the way it's going, we're going to hurt the democrats a lot. let's get on single pair and let people understand what it's about and stop arguing with the insurance companies. go ahead. >> really? >> yeah. >> well, if that's the plan, if you think that works great, any other industries you want to wipe out arbitrarily because you think the government can do a better job? when they've never been able to do a single industry right. >> how about medicare?
2:52pm
>> medicare is good. $200 billion in waste and fraud a year is good. more of that? i can't. >> i think that obama care is what run into a real difficulty with medicare when the cuts to doctors go through and gets back to eric's point of who is going to be willing to be a medicare doctor anymore. i think that there's only one thing worse than the companies being in charge. and that's the government being in charge. >> uh-huh. >> yeah. i mean, you are critical of obama care because it didn't go far enough, which is like being critical of the exxon valdes because it didn't kill enough ducks. i don't understand, why do we have to demonize an industry that's made up of people with -- insurance industry, these are people that get up and go to work every day just like everybody else and they have an expertise and make very slim profit margins. these are not greedy people. >> i'm not going to defend the insurance companies, but a single pair is the stupidest
2:53pm
thing you could ever, ever do. president obama would have loved to get single payer, a lot of liberals would have loved it but the support in the democratic caucus was not there. it's great if you're healthy, bob. if you're sick, it's a real problem because they mend out what you pay for certain services. you have unhappy doctors if you can find doctors. you have long lines because everybody enrolls -- can i finish? >> sure. >> you have long lines because everybody enrolls. the quality of care is dmv style health care. it is a terrible idea. >> this is down to one simple thing, eric, a lot of people like to do away with entitlements and i want to see entitlements being spend. >> if you do away with entitlements, you keep your own money. >> tell a poor person that has a lot of extra money to take care of them. >> tell the poor person they have opportunity to make more money. >> that's political argument. we'll see what happens. >> america with benefits have the president's policies turned the united states into a welfare
2:54pm
state. how is jay carney managing the media. goldberg with must-see analysis tonight on "the factor." 24/7. i'm sorry, i'm just really reluctant to try new things. really? what's wrong with trying new things? look! mommy's new vacuum! (cat screech) you feel that in your muscles? i do... drink water. it's a long story. well, not having branches let's us give you great rates and service. i'd like that. a new way to bank. a better way to save. ally bank. your money needs an ally. wow...look at you. i've always tried to give it my best shot. these days i'm living with a higher risk of stroke
2:55pm
due to afib, a type of irregular heartbeat, not caused by a heart valve problem. at first, i took warfarin, but i wondered, "could i up my game?" my doctor told me about eliquis. and three important reasons to take eliquis instead. one, in a clinical trial, eliquis was proven to reduce the risk of stroke better than warfarin. two, eliquis had less major bleeding than warfarin. and three... unlike warfarin, there's no routine blood testing. [ male announcer ] don't stop taking eliquis unless your doctor tells you to, as stopping increases your risk of having a stroke. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis ifyou have an artificial heart valve abnormal bleing. while taking eliquis, yomay bruise more easily and it m take longer than usual for any bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. i've got three important reasons to up my game with eliquis.
2:56pm
[ male announcer ] ask your doctor today if eliquis is right for you.
2:57pm
one more thing, let's go to dana. >> so this morning i was at the dog park. >> oh, what a surprise. >> oh, god, no. >> taking the dog to the park and i'm standing there minding my own business watching the dogs and i see this lady's face and her face falls and she's like, oh my gosh, guess what, another dog named max was paying on my boots. i got peed on by this dog at the dog park. that's why i want to honor national cat day. today is national cat day founded by lifestyle expert and
2:58pm
animal welfare advocate colleen page. that's my sister's cats. lord knows what she feeds them because they're gigantic. do we have pictures of andy's cats? >> there's too many. >> he has like 19 cats. kind of hard to put on the screen. happy national cat day. >> now we're going to your relatives feline. by the way, some people pay to have cats pea on them. andrea. >> so saturday night i had a big halloween party. here are some photos. you can see who showed up. there's miley cyrus and billy ray cyrus. yeah, they were there. we also had popeye and olive. yeah. that's my sister and her boyfriend keith. also we had tommy lee and pamela anderson, many of you know her as dr. dendy from my radio show. see if you can guess who that is? that's chris jenner and bruce jenner, but who is it? you know her from the fox newschannel. they did a great job. see if you can guess these two.
2:59pm
billy ray and miley. >> who did you dress up as? >> that was me and my boyfriend tim and there we are in real life so you can see who's the good sport. he wore a mull et wig. that is love. >> eric. >> quickly, we're going to run out of time. red sox go up 3-2 on st. louis. st. louis has been down three times and five of six times they won the world series. that's wednesday and thursday night. >> bob. >> sochi, the winter olympics in russia and i will nominate today they had a little p.r. in times square and i went down and tried a few of these things. oh, yeah, it was really great. and this poor guy at the end likes dana a lot. he got crushed. anyway e we're going to do a whole thing on it storm because it was a lot of fun and i'm hurting like i'm tired. go ahead. >> you know what, i don't have one. so i think we should sing a song. shall we?
3:00pm
>> what song? >> cumbaya. you start with the solo. >> i'm not a song bird. >> all right. that's it for "the five." thanks for watching. see you tomorrow. a bureaucrat apologizes for the obama care website, but is this just the start of the apology tour tied to the law? this is "special report." good evening. i'm bret baier. the i told you sos are coming hot and heavy from the obama care critics ripping the president over his promise. more and more people are coming to realize that definitively is not true. we have fox team coverage tonight. mike emanuel on capitol hill with bureaucrats under fire and under the bus, but we